It’s 7/13, the perfect opportunity to celebrate all that #Houston has to offer! From my favorite places to soak up the vibrant culture to the perfect places to unwind, here are a few of my top picks in the #713 area code!
Crabmeat Deviled Egg and Citrus-cured Smoke Salmon from Mark Holley’s Seafood Restaurant and Oyster Bar
How good are these Deviled Eggs? This is the sort of dish that when eaten, you simply cannot control yourself- you must moan with delight as you taste the luscious goodness of the crab meat mixed with the creamy egg yolk. Oh my goodness, I want one right now.
Sitting outside at the patio at Brassiere 19 in River Oaks while sipping a French 75
This is a lovely combination of champagne, gin, lemon juice and sugar. Many restaurants serve a French 75 but there is something magical in the ones at Brassiere 19. It is a mimosa’s sophisticated cousin and goes down smooth, bubbly, but is still very light.
- Riding my bike along Brays Bayou in the Medical Center/Braeswood area. This is a long stretch of concrete that allows me to get in a quick twenty minute workout or, when time permits, a leisurely 90 minute ride. It is calm, peaceful and you are safe from the hustle and bustle of Houston traffic. I love that it has some built in hills to kick my heart rate up a notch right as I get complacent!
- Acupuncture treatments at the American College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. Have an ailment requiring a realignment of the mind and body which you just can’t get from Western medicine? This is THE place to get your life force moving again! It is very cost effective as you are seen first by an intern and then by an attending physician. Together, they will examine your tongue, take your pulse, and thoroughly review your medical history in order to diagnose and treat your condition. You will feel better with one session, although multiple sessions may be needed to truly fix the problem.
- Trellis Spa at the Houstonian. A slice of heaven. I have never had a bad massage there and after a relaxing day in the Jacuzzi, sauna, and a deep tissue massage, I will treat myself to their Lump Crab and Fennel salad. I love this salad…it makes you feel clean and refreshed!
- Home-Sweet-Home. Sure, Houston summers are hot, but it’s a fair trade off for being able to relax poolside the majority of months in the year! I love any chance I can get to take a leisurely swim and then sit by my pool reading a book or entertaining friends treating them to my world class White Wine Sangria!
- Reflexology massage in Chinatown. Quick, inexpensive and open 7 days a week until 11 pm! It may not be fancy but they do know how to get your knots out and hit all of your pressure points so you feel into a deep sleep and forget all of your worries.
So, now it’s your turn! Show your Houston pride by sharing your favorite picks in a comment below!